Monday 22 December 2014

Peppermint Snowflakes {easy vegan adaption}


Heya, Merry Christmas everyone! Back in Germany we've got this saying according to which we've already celebrated Christmas before xy happens - in other words it takes a freaking long time until xy happens.. and that's how I feel about my posting frequency since November, oh no it actually was October, gasp! Time flies! 

And I've hardly had any quality time in the kitchen since: my weeka usually consist of looking after the kids, looking after the kids, meeting friends somewhere between breakfast, sport and meeting other friends, eating and sleeping plus the regular UK/London exploring on the weekend aaand: I'M LOVING IT!! The city, the vibrancy, the language (still working hard on that british accent ;-) if anyone fancies offering me some help, feel free to do so) the whole state about having a whole year or at least six months left to live in this dream-come-true environment - it is just magic! 

Okay, enough spoiling for now, one fact remains: I am hardly in the kitchen, like ever! Which is a shame with all the available produce and influences from around the world here but even though I do miss it terribly I'm so occupied during the day that it mainly slips to the back of my mind.. But when I have time to whip something up I'm always reminded about how goood cooking and baking feels: like an artist working on his picture, but instead of brush and colours you use ingredients of different textures, tastes, scents and origins. 



Okay my interior philosophist is coming through again - I've already written three paragraphs without a single word about todays recipe - so sorry for that!! As you can see I've got some cookies in today's backpack. I'm in full-on Christmas mood now - it has taken almost the whole of December for me to feel that way: I was partly shocked about how commercial it is here in the UK - like seriously I as a kid was happy to write my wishlist for Santa, unwrap an Advent calender personally done by my mom and enjoy unwrapping a few precious personal gifts on Christmas Eve plus maybe having an occasional pinch of snow outside! But when you walk through the city now its all like buy, buy, buy oh and buy! Hmm.. I think I'll always rather go back to a calm Christmas with the closest family and friends, cherishing each other instead of the newest smartphone or electronic toy, even though that's just the way it is..

Ups, another paragraph finished, so back to the cookies: I won't have snow this year thanks to brilliant rainy, 10 degrees Celsius London weather so if it doesn't come to me, I have to help it a little alias: baking cookies as fragile and melt-in-your-mouth kind of textured like snowflakes plus they had to be kind of frost-y which calls for one main ingredient: peppermint!

They can be made within 20 minutes start to finish, no waiting time included plus they make a great homemade gift, providing an unexpected twist to the usual cookie plate. They are fine and buttery, but the surprising peppermint taste is what makes these exceptional. Rolled in caster sugar post baking they also sparkle like fresh snow in the sun. So even without snow: Happy and Merry Christmas everyone!!



Peppermint Snowflakes
- makes about three dozen cookies
- 250g butter {substitute for a vegan spread or even coconut oil for a vegan option}
- 100g powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 100g all purpose flour
- 250g corn starch
- 1 and 1/2 tsp peppermint flavouring
- 150g caster sugar for rolling

1. Preheat your oven to 160 °C.
2. Carefully mix the butter with the powdered sugar until roughly mixed before you start beating the two together until pale, for about two minutes.
3. Mix the flour and starch and add it to the butter together with the salt and peppermint flavouring. Quickly need together a slightly sticky dough. Roll out into a snake, about 1/2 inch in diameter and cut into small pieces.
4. Roll the pieces between your palms into small balls and assemble onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Dig a fork into flour and press it onto the cookies to flatten them a bit while imprinting the forks pattern on top.
5. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until they have only slightly darkened but not turned brown yet. Remove and let cool for a few minutes before carefully rolling each cookie in the remaining caster sugar. Let cool completely before you assemble them in boxes or serve. They will keep for at least 2 weeks in an airtight container. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Aah, these cookies look absolutely divine. And ooh, exploring London sounds brilliant and fabulous. I hope you're having a beautiful time there and the new year is treating you nicely. (: I'm not legit, so I wouldn't know how to give advice about accents -- perhaps watch some period dramas? I've seen so many Jane Austen movies, I like to think I can do a pretty good British accent by now. Haha!

    ReplyDelete